If you missed our intro article to this series, check it out here.
During Alabama’s title run of 2009, I made my second trip to Commonwealth Stadium to watch the Tide take on the Kentucky Wildcats. The game turned out to be much more interesting than people were expecting, as Kentucky gave Alabama some fits in the first half. It wasn’t until a defensive touchdown right before halftime that Alabama started to pull away and even after halftime, the game didn’t turn into anything resembling a blowout. And yet, as my wife and I stood to cheer, we noticed something peculiar happening in the stands around us: the only people standing in the entire stadium were Alabama fans. This was the exact moment that I realized I hated Kentucky fans. And I’m not alone.
So, in the spirit of giving, I’m going to give you a list of the reasons that everyone in the SEC hates Kentucky fans, in hopes that those of you in your blue and white can start to see the error of your ways.
- Kentucky fans refuse to stand up during games. And not only do Kentucky fans not stand up during games and cheer but they actually yell at the other teams’ fans when they stand up and cheer.
- Kentucky fans don’t understand football. Most SEC fans believe they know too much about football, which is annoying but Kentucky fans go the other way. Here is an example of things overheard in Commonwealth Stadium on a typical Saturday: “They should run the triangle and two defense” or “wanna head over to Ramsey’s after this?”
- Kentucky fans cheer louder when the basketball team is announced than they do for anything that happens during the actual football game. I experienced this one personally at the game I mentioned earlier. At the time they brought the basketball team out to be introduced, the game was still very much in reach for Kentucky and yet the stands went CRAZY for an ANNOUNCEMENT about the basketball team. We’re not talking about a game, we’re talking about an introduction. . . . . an introduction.
- Kentucky is the only basketball school in the SEC. This one obviously goes along with #3 but seriously, join the Big East or something already.
- Coach Cal. I swear, if I hear one more Kentucky fan talk about Coach Cal during football season, I’m going to hurt someone.
- Jared Lorenzen. I think this one speaks for itself. Any school in the SEC that has had a quarterback who would be a better left guard than a quarterback should be embarrassed. (see also: Jamarcus Russell and Rohan Davey, LSU; Freddie Kitchens, Alabama)
- Tim Couch. Again, this one speaks for itself. I don’t think I can name a bigger bust that has come out of the SEC than Tim Couch, except maybe the aforementioned Jamarcus Russell (but we’ll get into that when we talk LSU).
- Lexington traffic. If you have never been to Lexington, you may not hate the Cats for this reason but trust me, anyone who has been to Lexington knows exactly what I’m talking about. Whoever designed the city decided that not only was it a great idea to name all the streets after freaking horses but it would be a GREAT idea to have two main roads that are just big circles around the city. And one of those two roads (Man O’ War) has a red light every 42 feet. Oh, and they have traffic lights that signal that lanes of traffic change direction throughout the day.
- Ashley Judd. Ok, we don’t hate Ashley Judd but we hate that she’s a Kentucky fan and not a fan of our favorite team.
So, yes Kentucky fans, we all hate you.